February 11, 2013

Before & After Home Projects

First of all, welcome to new readers who came here from Apartment Therapy or Becoming Minimalist!

I haven't been very good at posting little changes to my home, so it's a good time to catch up!


I finally got some lamps for my living room (yay!). And right when I had decided on which ones I wanted at Ikea, I walked in there and grabbed this new Holmliden lamp instead:


$25 price tag including the shade? Sweet. I immediately imagined them painted a bright color, like these colored wire pics.

Little Green Notebook (LOVE that blog)

Fenton & Fenton (Cool, but $1500!)
Chair image found here, on a post about wirework in homes.

I still love yellow, so I went for it. I used Krylon spray paint for plastic and metal and it worked great. I know this lamp isn't everyone's cup of tea (including my husband's, haha, but he says he "can live with it"). I like the modern touch it adds to my living room, but I'm still deciding. They're sitting on the sideboard I painted last year.


A few months ago, I bought this chair from someone in my city for $10. The best part is that I carried it home strapped on top of my double stroller with my kids underneath. I totally felt like a crazy homeless lady, especially because I laughed to myself the whole way home.



It looks like I darkened the wood, but it's just the lighting. I did cut a new piece of wood for the chair seat before I upholstered it because it was one of those toilet seat style wood rings--not so comfortable. I use this chair when I sew, so I needed something good for sitting a long time.

My sister-in-law gave me some of her leftover fabric (thanks, Kristin!). I'd had my eye on this fabric, Premier Prints Barber Taupe, for a while and I kept wanting to use it somewhere.


I also switched lampshades on my little $14 Walmart jelly jar lamp. I never actually liked the pleated one, but I ignored it out of indecision. I pretty much put every home project off for a long time because I'm not sure what I want yet. Then I make an impulse decision anyway. It's kind of messed up, I know.


I got the new one at Walmart too for $5 and added a black ribbon along the top and bottom. It was a little hasty--not my best work.


What do you think? Especially about the yellow lamps? Do you like or dislike the wire style? Be honest--they're just lamps. They don't have feelings.

6 comments:

  1. Love the painting, lamps, and desk. So colorful and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the wire lamps (and the yellow!), and the fabric on that chair is to die for. I'm not a fan of the lampshade, because I do agree with you that it's not your best work. But that's just me!
    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm with you. I didn't really think about the fact that a tapered lamp shade wouldn't work with a non-stretchy ribbon. It looks okay if you're not too close, haha.

      Delete
  3. I love the repurposed ikea lamp! Is it really called Holmliden? I can't find it in any ikea listing anywhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After I bought it, I looked it up online and noticed it wasn't on the website either. It's definitely Holmliden. In the picture at the store, you can see the tag if you enlarge it. Apparently it's too new to be on the website? It might be at your local store though. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just found your blog - its inspiring! I love the chair transformation! I actually used that exact fabric to re-cover a white magnetic board from ikea for my entry way. Now its a lot more stylish!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...