April 16, 2012

Just a Few Reasons I'm a Nerd

You know those people who say, "Omigosh, I'm like, such a nerd!" but in reality, they have nothing truly nerdy about them? Well, I'm not one of those people. Here's my proof:

I looked like Paul Pfeiffer from the Wonder Years in middle school. Same nose, same body, same clothes. Just swap the glasses for braces and that was me. Okay, and longer hair.


The first time I accidentally swore (in high school), I cried afterwards.

I lost interest in dating for a while in college. So when guys asked me out, I said, "No thanks, I'd rather do homework." You see, I wasn't trying to be rude. I've just always believed that honesty is the best policy.

My current favorite TV character is Abed from Community.


I'm married to an Apple fanboy (but whatever you do, don't call him that; he doesn't like that word).

In college, I spent my time in the math lab tutoring people--for free. It took me a while before I started actually earning money doing it. I just thought it was fun.

I have detailed financial records of everything I've spent and earned for the past six years, down to the penny. I get more joy out of paying off debt and saving money than, say, buying new shoes.

Almost every piece of clothing I own is a hand-me-down.

The only people I follow on Twitter are writers. I guess you could say those are my celebrities.

At a sixth grade slumber party, I played Donkey Kong alone in the other room while all the girls watched Clueless. When they discovered me, they called me a "Nintendo freak." I guess they kind of had a point.



I once watched an episode of the Bachelor and it gave me a really bad feeling. The thought of being like the women on that show is my new worst nightmare.

I am a master of speaking in a combination of lisp and stuffed up nose, as in "I'b tho thleepy todight." Plus, just the fact that I think it's funny at all is nerdy. Or should I say derdy?

Once in college, a teacher told me I was getting an A- and I tried really hard to hold back tears. He noticed and said, "Alright! I'll make it an A. Just don't cry!"

I can quote every Disney movie in its entirety.

When I was a kid, my favorite TV show was Nature.

I dressed my family up as characters from an animé for Halloween. Ivy requested the Ponyo theme (future nerd alert?).

If I hadn't been 9 months pregnant that day, I
would have looked exactly like the ocean goddess
from Ponyo. Trust me. (Don't trust me).

In middle school, I spent my free time making dozens of Redwall characters, weapons, and accessories out of Sculpey clay. Then I'd sell them to my younger siblings for a dollar each.

I know who the character of Tom Bombadil is in The Lord of the Rings. Do you?

I'm the writer of a blog that no one reads. And yet, I keep blogging.

See? Genuine nerd. I just happen to have good eyesight, so you can't always tell by looking at me. I'll bet one or two people have even mistaken me for being cool at first glance. Maybe.

17 comments:

  1. Funny post .. but so true about the Bachelor. That show makes me feel dirty!

    Happy Monday.
    Shauna

    www.ShaunaWyrick.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-freakin'-men on your Bachelor nightmare. That show is ridiculous. I still remember the Sculpey figurines. Being a nerd is so much more fun, and you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read your blog! Keep em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still use the "i'd rather do homework" line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Capitalize the " I." See I'm a nerd, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm disappointed there's not a side-by-side comparison photo with Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, I love this blog! So ok, you've convinced me you are a nerd--but still, the coolest person I know. Jamie was my really super cool best friend when I was little, and since she thought you were even cooler, I was always in awe of your coolness. I cried once because you were planning a Redwall feast, with food inspired from the books, and I couldn't come. I also remember begging you to play SuperNintendo... Actually, I remember following you around quite a lot, wanting to be just like you. And if I had been, I would have been awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, you are super de duper awesome--way cooler than me. Second, thank you! I never would have known that you admired me like that. Funny how you never really know what people think of you. I'm glad you remember the Redwall feast. That was one of my better ideas, if I say so myself. I'm sorry you couldn't come though. Next time, next time.

      Delete
  8. We Read! On that note, you should really start writing elsewhere too....or at least contributing. I feel the exact opposite about the bachelor. I watch because it makes me feel so good about myself. Like, I am straight up genius comparatively. Also, I'm currently going through my "I'm not dating" phase because I think I'm gonna sell a sitcom and be rich and radical and then I will start dating. Because, as everyone knows, you can't do both at the same time. Conveniently, this phase occurred during my peak childbearing years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should have a more positive outlook about the Bachelor. Its tagline could be "Instilling Confidence in Intelligent Women Everywhere" or something along those lines. And you'll get that sitcom, Ali. Dating can come when you feel like it.

      Delete
  9. Tom Bombadil - the guy they cut out of the movies because his inclusion in the story served no purpose. BUT! It would've been awesome had they included him in the extra-long DVD version. And in 'Battle for Middle-Earth II', he has some wicked awesome powers and is quite the unit to have gunning for you.

    Live nerd, live free. :) I don't even know what that means, but it sounded cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was so hoping that someone would comment about Tom Bombadil. Sounds like Battle for Middle Earth II took a little creative license, eh? From what I remember, Tom just prances around in the forest singing songs to hobbits.

      Live nerd, live free. It means that once you embrace the nerd within, you have found freedom, right? Either way, I like it.

      Delete
  10. I'm okay with being a nerd now. Not so much in high school or college--I really dreamed about being cool. But now I think nerd can be pretty cool. I just wish I could be one of those wealthy nerds.


    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out
    Try my networking experiment

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lisa! I just wanted to let you know that I gave you the Liebster Blog Award!! Check out what that entails on my blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for the nerds of the world!

    Nice to meet you, and I hope you're enjoying the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa, I think we should have another Redwall Feast. I remember eating "damson crumble with good hot sauce!" But I can't remember what that was actually made out of. And also, you charged me $2 for each clay toy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love this post. great blog! glad to have found it! :]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...