March 8, 2012

Happy Birthday Jen!


In celebration of my sister Jennifer's 19th birthday, I'd like to write a bit about how cool she is.

Jen started out as a quirky child, which are the most promising children, in my opinion. She was somehow blessed with silky white hair that was usually cut in a blunt shoulder length bob when she was little. This striking and unusual feature, at least in our family of brunettes, led us to make comparisons to an albino--particularly the albino from The Princess Bride. (You know: "Welcome to the pit of despair!") Jen, never being one to accept the things she finds unjust, was quite unhappy with this observation when she got old enough to realize it. Now, however, she appreciates her own uniqueness in our family and she definitely has the sense of humor to laugh it off.

Jen was a dreamy, off-in-her-own-world type of child. I'd say she's still a dreamer now. The good kind, though, who finds beauty and whimsy in everyday things. She's the type of dreamer who makes her dreams happen and won't accept no for an answer. And she's been told no a couple bajillion times in her life, too, but she continues to do what she believes in.

How many people do you know who have dressed up as
this many Harry Potter characters?

Jen is a talented artist. She won the Sterling Scholar for visual arts during her senior year of high school. This would be a great accomplishment for any kid, but Jen did it with no parental encouragement. She's had to do many things on her own initiative, because that's what happens when your mother dies when you're only eight years old. She's had a lot of hard times, but I believe they've only made her stronger and more compassionate. She's always been fiery and spirited. The Elizabeth Bennets and Katnisses of the literary world have nothing on Jen.

As one man in Spain said, Jen is "the perfect American." Strong. Smart. Beautiful. Blonde. Everything. She's probably the only girl in our family who's never dated an idiot (so far, crossing my fingers!) and I commend her for that. She's intimidating and Amazonian at 5'10" and I suspect many of the idiots are too afraid of her. Oh, and don't forget that she's super smart. I'm sure that will help repel idiots too.

I suppose I should also mention that Jen and I didn't get along so well growing up. We were just both too headstrong. Plus, I was a bratty tyrant. I hope she's forgiven me for all the times I was truly unkind. But, I also hope she can re-remember some of the times with humor, like the time she cried when I told her she looked like David Bowie from the Labyrinth.

There's plenty more to say about her because Jen is exceptional. Do I even need I say that by now? I bet you're convinced. I know I am.

Jen's mini-me, our niece Audrey
I just had to throw it in because I love it.

6 comments:

  1. Great article about Jen! And I should point out that Jen is the only GIRL in our family not to date an idiot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome tribute. Happy Birthday, Jen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha this was great. I learned some things about her here :) And happy birthday to her too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I love Jen and all her adorable quirkiness

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw this is so awesome and sweet! And omg, I could not stop laughing at all the different Potter characters!hahaha love it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...