So, we decided it was time to move Ivy into a regular bed. However, as usual, I wasn't willing to pay the price for a cute bed.
this bed from Ikea, I thought it would make a perfect frame for upholstering. I googled "upholstered fjellse" and sure enough, other people had already done it. (Manhattan Nest and Organized Design are two examples, but I followed a somewhat different process than they did, especially for the headboard.)
I wanted something bold and colorful for the fabric, but with some of the same colors as the crib bedding. I knew I wanted it to be a large scale pattern and I was drawn to forest-looking scenes, like this duvet and shower curtain from Urban Outfitters. If it weren't for the price, I probably would have bought a duvet and used it, but I bought 3 yards of this fabric instead. It had a similar color scheme and style and was much cheaper.
So, I did some planning.
First, I tried out different fabrics digitally. Here's the preview for this fabric:
|(Fabric added in Photoshop to a bed image from Serena and Lily)|
Ivy was already loving it.
I also put two small pieces of foam on either side of where the mattress would fit.
I've got a lot more projects to show that we've been working on, so there will be more to come soon (for real this time).